Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Harvest Continues......

This old cottonwood has probably been growing here since Nebraska became a state. There is probably as much of it piled at its feet as is still standing, but there is just something about these huge old trees that makes you think of the covered and horse-drawn wagons that probably passed by them. As Steve harvested just to the west (left) of this, he called me and told me to bring out the camera and take a photo of this big guy....
The trunk is probably four feet across...
This farm is all bottom ground. We thought we would never get it planted (and keep it planted) with all the rain last spring. Some of the water holes got planted a couple of times.


The crops weren't the best, but after all the rain and hail this year, we are so thankful that there was any crop at all, and that it is finally tucked away in the bins....


I wish I would have snapped a photo of the cute dog here. Tator is a little beagle dog and I have the rare opportunity to be able to pet her....something most of the guys can not brag about... =) A young family rent the house, and we use the outbuildings and the bins for our grain and some of our equipment...


Rain is moving in today, so to is the end to the abnormally warm temps (70's for the past week). They are forecasting snowshowers and highs in the 30's on Friday!! It really must be November. =) The corn has been dry and we are so thankful for the harvest...

3 comments:

daisyinnovember said...

Gorgeous photos.

Kris said...

bring on the end of harvest...bring on winter...we're ready to head west for a visit!! :)

cheryl said...

I love your harvest pics!!!

Yesterday as Jeanne and I drove home from W. Lafayette, we saw some "afterdark" harvesters! I was so excited and began telling her about harvesting and dry corn and watching for rain and good corn prices...and it made me think I knew something!

Alas, I don't know a thing. I just repeat what my dear friend says in her blogs! :)

Glad it's in! Stay warm my sistah!