Thursday, March 20, 2008

Birdy Buns...


From Taste of Home (Bread Birds) (I also love them made with the oatmeal roll recipe!)


TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.

Ingredients:
3 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour (no substitutes), divided
1/4 cup sugar
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
16 slivered almonds
32 currants

HONEY BUTTER:
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons honey

Directions: In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add milk and water; heat to 120°-125°. Add to flour mixture and mix well. Stir in extract and egg; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down; divide into 16 pieces. To shape birds, roll each piece into a 10-in. rope; tie into a knot. Cut one end a few times with a scissors to form tail feathers. Tuck in the other end of the nose to form beak. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Combine honey butter ingredients; brush over the hot rolls. Return to the oven for 3 minutes. With a toothpick, make small holes for the beak and eyes. Insert a slivered almond for the beak and currants for eyes. Serve with remaining honey butter if desired. Yield: 16 rolls.

(I go ahead and put my eyes and beaks in before baking.....)

7 comments:

cheryl said...

BREAD FLOUR?? RECIPE???? I thought you told me they were made with breadsticks from the can!!!

Well....looks like I'll have a spare can of breadsticks on hand b/c I want birdies like these on my Easter Table this year!! Thanks for the recipe Sandysue.

Your new daut might like to have that too! : )

grammy4him said...

Yes...they can be made with any bread..even thawed frozen rolls. You just roll them out like you are making breadsticks (or a play-doh snake =)...and then tie them in a loose knot and clip the one end sticking through, so that is the tail, then the other little end sticking through is the head....

cheryl said...

Man...your QUICK! LOL!

BTW...I LOVE your Peeps! I didn't know what Kathy was talking about earlier. I thought she meant these little chicks! LOL! You are the "cut out" QUEEN! (I don't even know what you call that...but I think it starts with an "i"! hehe!

I'll take a pic of my chicks...hopefully they'll be recognizable!

Kris said...

I'm sure gonna miss the birdie buns this spring from Mama's kitchen! I need to add these to my menu...thanx for posting the recipe, Mom!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness these are the cutest!!

Kelly said...

I peeked in on your page and saw your little "Birdie Buns" so thought I would reshape a few of our Resurrection Rolls for the boys. When they boys opened the bread basket though, I heard, "What do walruses have to do with Easter, Mom?" Guess I'll stick to my Resurrection Rolls!!! No one does it quite like you! Hope you had a blessed Easter!

grammy4him said...

Oh, Kelly, my smile for the day! hehehe =)